Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A pair of prospective players
Hi there! I'm Em. *waves*

My sister and I stumbled onto the website recently and wanted to give this game a try. Getting time off work at both our jobs was a trial but we managed to do it! We'd very much love to attend the event upcoming. Since the event is this weekend, is it too late to register for it? 

Trying to read through the mountain of information on the website to figure out what we need to do has been a bit overwhelming, so we'd appreciate any help anyone could give us. We didn't see any dates or deadlines anywhere... so.. we're hoping it's still possible to make it happen? If someone could let us know it would be appreciated.

We really want to do our first game together and if we've missed this window, the next available chance won't be until September, so we have our fingers crossed!

It's wonderful hearing that there's an underworld branch here in London. I've heard nothing but good things about underworld for years, and the chance to actually try it has me giddy.

Thanks so much to anyone who can give us a hand, and it will be nice to meet you all at game hopefully soon!
-Valna-
A wildelf in simple clothing that wields a spear and tends to get herself into more trouble then she probably should.
"This is a chance for me to get back some of what I've lost."

~Player of Yaya the Orc Doctor
~Emily 'Em' McGarvey
Email: mythicfables(at)hotmail(dot)com
The prelog window has closed. all that means is you will have to stand in a bit of a line at the event inorder to create your character sheets in the database. generally your first event as new players is complimentary, unfortunately this event is warcry the first "all guilds event" and as such all participants must pay to play. i believe that the Ralinwood owner's will honour your "freebie" at the next event you attend.

others are welcome to correct me if i'm wrong on anything here.
Elderly Human man wearing a long grey coat over chainmaille.
Hey! And welcome to Underworld! 

Unfortunately Dan is correct. It is too late to 'officially' register, but we will always try and get new players semi-registered before event. It is always a good idea to try to get the info to Logistics before game, even if it's a bit late. 

Go ahead and email logistics@underworldralinwood.ca to get started. Please include in your email:
  • Player Name: (Your real, legal name)
  • Brought by: (if anyone referred you to Underworld Ralinwood)
  • Character Name:
  • True Name: (See page 11 in the Core Rulebook)
  • Race:
  • Class:
  • Any Skills you wish to purchase for your character. 
If you are sending an email on behalf of someone else, please include their email along with the above information. 

And as Dan pointed out, your "First Game Free" does not go towards this game. It will, however, be put towards your very next game. 

Dan and I are NPL (New Player Liaisons), so please feel free to email, or PM either of us for any questions you may have. Or you are welcome to keep posting here. UW is a great community of very helpful people.
- The All Seeing Eye -
- Backstory Wizard -

Backstory Email: backstories@underworldralinwood.ca
Personal Email: sierra@underworldralinwood.ca
That's wonderful news! Thanks for the quick replies! We'll try to get our characters figured out tonight and send the email right away.

We had some followup questions if that's alright. What is an all guilds event, what does the warcry part of that mean, and will we need to bring our own weapons to the first event or will there be ones we can borrow or rent? I have a foam latex longsword I found in a comicbook store, but I'm unsure if it will make it through inspection.

Also do you have suggestions for what classes and races are good for newbies to start with? My sister was thinking bard, and I was thinking Ranger. Also we both like elves ...but like... the ears... do you put on the ear appliances daily or do you leave them on the whole event and sleep in them?
-Valna-
A wildelf in simple clothing that wields a spear and tends to get herself into more trouble then she probably should.

~Emily 'Em' McGarvey
Hi there and welcome to Underworld/Ralinwood!

I'm one of the Armor/Weapon marshals for Ralinwood, Normally speaking we can't really tell you if a weapon will pass inspection until we get it in our hands. So in regards to your latex long sword you wont know until you bring it to game, I am not sure if weapon rentals will be open at warcry, but generally I believe it is 5 dollars to rent a weapon if your weapon fails. (If I am wrong I apologize to our new player liaisons and should probably be corrected ASAP.)

If you are worried about your weapons passing, Sierra has posted an amazing guide to making boffers ( http://www.underworldralinwood.ca/forums...p?tid=2183 ). Its still a case by case for these too but this guide is very similar to the one I used when I first joined Ralinwood myself.

A lightly armored einish man. He has neck length brown braided hair and is clad in a black leather tunic and a kilt of Lofoten colours.

"Become the kind of leader that people would follow voluntarily, even if you had no title or position."

OOG name: Jake Ruble
Email: jake.ruble@hotmail.com
I do not recommend wearing your ears to sleep, take them off and let our ears breath.
                                  ~~~
River RedClaw, mother of way to many.
often seen hiding behind the group.
OOG: Tara
E-mail taradolson@gmail.com
Hey there, Elves are awesome. And yes, we do put on our own appliances, but leaving them on overnight is a personal preference. I personally leave mine on all weekend with no hassle or irritation. The adhesive I use is Prost-Adhe, or Prosthetic Adhesive. I highly recommend it.

As for your classes, I recommend finding a class you like (you already did that), and then trying to find skill, or a goal for your skills that you want to accomplish, such as spell casting, hitting for a lot of damage, a full support character.

Bards make GREAT medics for the first couple of levels. If this appeals to you, get Anatomy, First Aid and Physician skills to start. I would be happy to discuss other skills you want as well. Bards are ok at casting magic. If you are looking for more of that direction, Mages or Druids might be better suited.

Ranger is a class that doesn't really have a specialty, as in, they aren't really, really good at one thing. If you give me more of an idea of how you want to play your character, I can help you build a fun 1st game character.

You are welcome to PM me if you like. I am going to bed now, but I do wake up early and respond promptly.
- The All Seeing Eye -
- Backstory Wizard -

I forgot to address the Warcry/All Guilds part.

So Underworld LARP is a franchise with many Chapters/Guilds. We currently have 3 in Ontario, 2 in Alberta, 1 in Japan and I think 1 somewhere else, but I can't be certain. Either way, this event, that only happens once a year, includes every single guild from around the world. Normally people just play with their chosen guild, or they visit a neighboring guild, but this event is going to be run and played by many of the guilds.

And as for the weapons, Callum is right. You are welcome to send me a photo of the weapon and I can tell you if it has passed before, but like Callum said, nothing can pass safety until it is in the hands of our Armour Marshals. If it does not pass we do allow you to borrow weapons. At Ralinwood, 1st time players can borrow their weapons for free, however, since this is an All Guilds Event, I do not know if this will be in effect. If it is not, it will cost you $5 to rent the weapons of your choosing.
- The All Seeing Eye -
- Backstory Wizard -

Welcome to the game! I also play an elf and I've always found sleeping in my prosthetic ears to be easy. After the first hour or so of game, once my adhesive sets, I don't even notice I'm wearing them.

Keep in mind, the warcry event is not happening on the Ralinwood site, so it will be a longer drive to get to the warcry event than what would normally be 15-20 minutes outside of London. Good luck, and hope to see you IG soon! Big Grin
IG: A young High Elf man. He wears his chain shirt and studded vest under a black tabard with white crossed swords. His longsword and shield hang at his waist. His pointed ears are adorned with metal cuffs. 

OOG: Dustin Smith - 2018 Medical Marshal
Wait.. it's not at the regular venue? ...Can someone provide an address for the correct location then? We thought it was at the regular one and our ride is scheduled to go there currently.
-Valna-

~Emily 'Em' McGarvey