The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] is_dir(): open_basedir restriction in effect. File(/english) is not within the allowed path(s): (/var/www/vhosts/underworldralinwood.ca/:/tmp/) - Line: 441 - File: global.php PHP 7.4.33 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
[PHP] errorHandler->error_callback
/global.php 441 is_dir
/showthread.php 28 require_once

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Event Review - A Day In The Life (May 2019 Market Day)
Thank you to everyone who helped make Market Day / Seminar Day a success, including and especially those who hosted seminars and acted as vendors. We hope you enjoyed the social themed (but still combat active!) event. We're back at Stevenson again in two weeks for our four day event!

And without further ado.. Tell us your thoughts! What did you like, what needs improvements, what are your favourite memories? Let us know! If the feedback is positive enough, we'll see about running this kind of event again in the nearer future.

Any concerns or major complaints, please feel free to email contact@underworldralinwood.ca to speak to the Owners (myself and Dan) directly.
Owner - Tavernkeep - Forums Admin - Cat Herder
Email: ivanna@underworldralinwood.ca
Good dang ol' times.

Pros - This was a solid game for getting trade done. Often with merchants, they're instances, but here it really felt like a market. You'd have something, try to sell it for a while, then manage to sell it, then find something new, then find a merchant selling what you needed. So mercantile!

Cons - Though I made myself busy enough, it wasn't easy to keep track of the seminars. It might have been useful to have a list (just a copy of the forum post, really) out in the open. A few things were shifted around and a few places were changed, so although I could find the seminars, it was more chance encounters than planning.

Shrugs - For what was advertised, this felt like the right amount of combat, and the mist marauders at the end were a solid fight and a cool bit of intrigue for the coming weekends. That being said, this is something for the player base, not the plot team: *please* take NPC shifts this season. One, two, whatever. This event, we had a really good ratio of NPCs to players, and that's what made it good and engaging combat (by my expectations for the game). If we want more good fights, we need bodies on the other side. Likewise, it seems like a lot of vets are disillusioned about the cost and benefit of NPC shifts. It might be a good idea to have some solid conversations about that. That being said, that's not at all a dig on the event - if anything, this event was a good example of what we get when we have a decent NPC-PC ratio.

Overall, I had a solid time. Sold out of remedies, bought alchemy, threw magic, swung sword, got to hang out with my tongue again, and use it to have good interactions with NPCs and PCs. Good times.
OOG: Will Hyland.

IG: Alfric Smith, musician, physician, barber, mortician. Listen for the sound of flirting and the smell of liquor.
Thanks to the plot team and NPCs for all their work this event, it's appreciated.

Pros:
  • A wide variety of merchants were out. Between the item tags, the minor magical items at affordable prices, the higher tier magic up for auction and the material vendors, there was a lot to buy.
  • The PC market section was very immersive and wonderfully set up, Godwyn's bar was particularly nice. I know he spent a long time preparing for that. Trying to find the hidden code in his sign with Yoshi's conspiracy NPC was hilarious.
  • The little CSI Ralinwood mod was a lot of fun even if it somehow managed to make Dr. Bird more depressed than she already was that day. The amount of clues to interact with and the fact that we were able to do some of it without a mortician and then bring the bodies back to one in order to confirm timelines and causes of death made everybody feel they could contribute and not just a few people with relevant skills. Still forever salty that the 4 times I asked if anybody had paper or books the regent didn't offer the literal stack he was carrying for us to use.
  • The random pile of large weapons that granted proficiency to those using them so people could spar was great. I lowkey hate playing a character that tries to avoid violence, so being able to just unapologetically beat on a bunch of people with Blood Money was very cathartic.
  • I got a bird shaped cookie. It was amazing. Ori refused to eat it and instead ran around showing everybody how cute it was until Shark made her eat it. Cannibalism jokes ensued. Ori drifts ever closer to shanking all of town in their sleep for the bird comments.

Cons:
  • Hopefully we don't have so many OOG non-LARPers around later in the season. Some of them were super pleasant to chat with before and after game (we might have some new members, woo) but it was really confusing to see a bunch of random people walking around while we played.
  • Unless I missed it there still seems to be a general lack of NPCs willing to buy PC items. A very small amount of the merchants were open to barter but many just wanted coins/gems, which meant for the most part we still have minimal ways to offload our item tags.
  • The fae riddle mod pulling a ritual out of nowhere seemed a bit cheesy. At this point people should probably be prepared for PCs to try to brute force a puzzle mod and pausing to decide that, actually, there's suddenly a ritual defense on the spot seemed like a cop out. The rest of the mod was fine but that one part had a few of us unimpressed.
  • I don't know how I feel about the final Mist Marauder mod. On the one hand, this was a day mod, sending out the big scary "town should just run" marauders would not be fair to anybody and would likely end in us getting reduced to a fine red paste because we didn't have threshold breakers. On the other hand, two waves of the crunchiest marauders I'd ever seen was really anticlimactic. We got nice and scared that they were coming and then the mud ended up being more dangerous to us than they were. I get this was a big ol distraction/scouting party but for a final mod of the day Mist Marauder showdown, I wasn't super impressed. 
Ori Moran: A purple feathered Avian with a red hat who carries a black and white shield. She has three Shadow Marks over one eye and a scar through the other.

Nelinha: Some asshole Ice Elf. Has a bright red hooded scarf and a black winged brooch.

OOG: Alex Heintz - NPL - Official Ralinmeme Maker
I had a lot of fun at this event. I admit I didn't actually go and do much as far as mods go, so I can't really comment on how those ones went, but here were my thoughts  otherwise.

The Good
- I like how many merchants were out and about. Some of the prices of things were a little high, but enough of them offered bulk discounts or simply had interesting enough items that I didn't mind.
- The auction was fun! It's rare that there's an actual live auction vs a silent auction set up at games, and it had a fun energy to it. I feel a little bit bad for the poor ritualists that we all laughed every time the words "root lance" were spoken but hey, it got me a nice edgelord magic item for 10g.
- I liked how the catalysts that showed up that event were themed. Considering that it was Jenn's faceless sailor NPC that was selling them, that they were all boat related with appropriate feelings attached was nice to see. I like when the feeling matches the theme so you can kind of guess at the situation it was made in and the feelings of the previous owner.
- Food tags had expiries. No more immortal roast ducks.
- Dan's playtest of latex weapons was so well done and I think everyone who did it had lots of fun.
- I really, really, really liked the conversation I got to have with Aminata. It feels rare that she has the time to rub elbows with us peasant trash, and it felt very humanizing (elfanizing?) and like she was invested in what was happening and how her townsfolk felt.
- I actually like the Mist Marauder final mod (sorry Alex). I know that even as a distraction the easier to down Marauders may have felt a little weak compared to what we're used to, but I've been wishing for a while that the off season would give a clearer picture of what's to come plot wise in the season proper, and I feel like we got a far clearer taste of that with the way things ended. I feel like it was the only compromise we could have managed using them at all.

The Less Good
- My kingdom for a chair. The wobbly idea of where we could go and limited seating destroyed my legs by the end of the event.
- Scheduling of seminars felt a wee bit wonky. It was a bit hard to keep track of what time it was and where to meet people. We had a decent turn out, though, so this is only a "it could have gone smoother" kind of complaint.
- I can understand the need to share a space with the campers due to scheduling conflicts, but I wish they'd been just a wee bit more respectful of our experience in the same way we tried to stay out of their way. The random yelling I could deal with (I assume it was activity related for them) but the blasting of music outside of one of the buildings while they cut wood was a little less ideal.

Personal Highlights
- Seeing the Roaming Keg in action. I've been watching Alex work on those bottle designs and drink mixes for ages (I'm not sure people know how obsessive he is about figuring out mocktails and designs that are appropriate to the tags he makes or buys) so seeing all those props come together at event was wonderful.
- Dr Moran's face when I gave her the magic item I'd just bought.
- Jake the Hobling's salt. Sorry dude.
- Accidentally getting Blank shitliquored when Carrion poorly estimated how much of a drink he could handle.
- Trading stacks of garbage tags with Hopper because we each had random trash the other wanted. People with a lot of miscellaneous tags should try this sometime. I know selling it for coin is preferable, but some folks have niche interests and goals and collections. One man's trash...
- Wizard Wigzozz. Wizozz? Wigzard?
- The religious seminar seemed to go pretty well. Everyone just had a little fun with it. "Don't give me those eyes. DON'T GIVE ME THAT NOSE."
- "It's Mist Marauders." "It's not Mist Marauders, that would be stupid." "AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA--" "Well shit."
IG: A human man in a crow skull mask, grey stole, and black clerical vestments. Occasionally carries an iron or silver dagger, but more often seen without any visible weapons or amour to speak of.

OOG: Danny Heintz, he/him. Transmasc in progress, please disregard mine bræsts. 

(05-05-2019, 07:34 PM)Carrion Wrote: I had a lot of fun at this event. I admit I didn't actually go and do much as far as mods go, so I can't really comment on how those ones went, but here were my thoughts  otherwise.

The Good
- I like how many merchants were out and about. Some of the prices of things were a little high, but enough of them offered bulk discounts or simply had interesting enough items that I didn't mind.
- The auction was fun! It's rare that there's an actual live auction vs a silent auction set up at games, and it had a fun energy to it. I feel a little bit bad for the poor ritualists that we all laughed every time the words "root lance" were spoken but hey, it got me a nice edgelord magic item for 10g.
- I liked how the catalysts that showed up that event were themed. Considering that it was Jenn's faceless sailor NPC that was selling them, that they were all boat related with appropriate feelings attached was nice to see. I like when the feeling matches the theme so you can kind of guess at the situation it was made in and the feelings of the previous owner.
- Food tags had expiries. No more immortal roast ducks.
- Dan's playtest of latex weapons was so well done and I think everyone who did it had lots of fun.
- I really, really, really liked the conversation I got to have with Aminata. It feels rare that she has the time to rub elbows with us peasant trash, and it felt very humanizing (elfanizing?) and like she was invested in what was happening and how her townsfolk felt.
- I actually like the Mist Marauder final mod (sorry Alex). I know that even as a distraction the easier to down Marauders may have felt a little weak compared to what we're used to, but I've been wishing for a while that the off season would give a clearer picture of what's to come plot wise in the season proper, and I feel like we got a far clearer taste of that with the way things ended. I feel like it was the only compromise we could have managed using them at all.

The Less Good
- My kingdom for a chair. The wobbly idea of where we could go and limited seating destroyed my legs by the end of the event.
- Scheduling of seminars felt a wee bit wonky. It was a bit hard to keep track of what time it was and where to meet people. We had a decent turn out, though, so this is only a "it could have gone smoother" kind of complaint.
- I can understand the need to share a space with the campers due to scheduling conflicts, but I wish they'd been just a wee bit more respectful of our experience in the same way we tried to stay out of their way. The random yelling I could deal with (I assume it was activity related for them) but the blasting of music outside of one of the buildings while they cut wood was a little less ideal.

Personal Highlights
- Seeing the Roaming Keg in action. I've been watching Alex work on those bottle designs and drink mixes for ages (I'm not sure people know how obsessive he is about figuring out mocktails and designs that are appropriate to the tags he makes or buys) so seeing all those props come together at event was wonderful.
- Dr Moran's face when I gave her the magic item I'd just bought.
- Jake the Hobling's salt. Sorry dude.
- Accidentally getting Blank shitliquored when Carrion poorly estimated how much of a drink he could handle.
- Trading stacks of garbage tags with Hopper because we each had random trash the other wanted. People with a lot of miscellaneous tags should try this sometime. I know selling it for coin is preferable, but some folks have niche interests and goals and collections. One man's trash...
- Wizard Wigzozz. Wizozz? Wigzard?
- The religious seminar seemed to go pretty well. Everyone just had a little fun with it. "Don't give me those eyes. DON'T GIVE ME THAT NOSE."
- "It's Mist Marauders." "It's not Mist Marauders, that would be stupid." "AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA--" "Well shit."

I really enjoyed your seminar on religion. I learned alot. Thank you For hosting it

A largest roguish human dressed in all Studded Black leather
I usally don't post reviews. So here goes 
 I'm sure if it is me or but. I seem to be missing the hooks to the mods, granted I was unconscious for an hour this game. The scheduling for some of seminars seemed to be off. 
 It was great to see some of the more veteran players to feel as they are part of the game.  
The best part for me was getting addicted to ambrosia. As I get more into Larping. I want really want get better at role playing. Combat is fun but some of fondest memories are from role play.
Thanks to everyone who as helped get better at role playing.

A largest roguish human dressed in all Studded Black leather
Yeeeee boi here it comes
~The yays
-Nykkin, just nykkin, kyle you are the best
-Jen's faceless getting me on the run
-Brondulf vs that one tall ogre
-Theodosia's wonderful cake
-Actually getting out of trouble with MMMMMMMceleste
-Dr. Bird was alright

~The nays
-Last fight was very anticlimatic at the end, I honestly was pumped for a lot more and a lot harder
-The fae riddle mod pulling a ritual out of no where was unimpressive to say the least

Thanks for the game folks, be back in 2 weeks