Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Noob looking for answers
Hi everyone! So I've been playing role-playing tabletop games for a while now and got really interested in LARP and thought I'd give it a shot and see if it was for me. I'm completely new to this and just have a few questions I was hoping people could answer...
The first is that I've looked at the Soul-Frag book and I was wondering, I'm going to be playing a templar for my first event but can my templar become a dread-knight at a later point in his life? Or if I reach the point where I decide LARP is really for me and get truly invested, would I have to create a new character all together to access classes from the Soul Frag book? My character is a "power at all costs" type so I can envision him making deals with the worst entities (divine and other) to serve his personal agenda and I think the dread-knight class's flavor text really just screams him. Secondly, I was wondering what the house rules are on pvp? Is it an utter taboo to kill a player character or more of a do-at-your-own-risk-and-suffer-the-terrible-consequences type deal? Just trying to get a feel for all the dangers I should expect XD 
Also (sorry I know this is long), I'm building my skill list and I'm 20 points short of being able to pick the combination of skills I want. I didn't notice it in the rulebook, but can I bank CP and use them at a later date? I want: read and write, read magic, sphere of magic (elemental: ice),  and Mysticism. But Mysticism is too expensive and I don't feel I should give up any of the others. 

And one last thing....As far as arriving goes, where should a new player set up camp? 
Again thanks so much for answering!
A young human dressed in a tunic and pants. He wears black greaves and bracers and carries a sword that is just a bit too large for him. 

OOG: Robert DiBartolomeo
(05-18-2016, 01:20 PM)Riven Wrote: Hi everyone! So I've been playing role-playing tabletop games for a while now and got really interested in LARP and thought I'd give it a shot and see if it was for me. I'm completely new to this and just have a few questions I was hoping people could answer...
The first is that I've looked at the Soul-Frag book and I was wondering, I'm going to be playing a templar for my first event but can my templar become a dread-knight at a later point in his life? Or if I reach the point where I decide LARP is really for me and get truly invested, would I have to create a new character all together to access classes from the Soul Frag book? My character is a "power at all costs" type so I can envision him making deals with the worst entities (divine and other) to serve his personal agenda and I think the dread-knight class's flavor text really just screams him. Secondly, I was wondering what the house rules are on pvp? Is it an utter taboo to kill a player character or more of a do-at-your-own-risk-and-suffer-the-terrible-consequences type deal? Just trying to get a feel for all the dangers I should expect XD 
Also (sorry I know this is long), I'm building my skill list and I'm 20 points short of being able to pick the combination of skills I want. I didn't notice it in the rulebook, but can I bank CP and use them at a later date? I want: read and write, read magic, sphere of magic (elemental: ice),  and Mysticism. But Mysticism is too expensive and I don't feel I should give up any of the others. 

And one last thing....As far as arriving goes, where should a new player set up camp? 
Again thanks so much for answering!

Hey Riven,

First off you should shoot me an email at logistics@underworldralinwood.ca and I'll get your account made for you. That's my only 'official' part in any of this and the rest is all my personal opinion. Tongue

We have wonderful new player liasons who will likely jump in here and give better advice then me!

Your character can become a dreadknight later in life, but this is one of the exceptions in terms of class. Once you're a certain class you should expect to stay the same one for the duration of the character. If you get favour with a god IG, you change into the new class as part of that transition. This is one of the only cases where this happens.

I don't want to discourage you but I feel it's only fair to tell you how hard it is to actually get these classes. It takes a long time and a lot of effort. It isn't just the frag cost for favoured classes like dreadknight - you have to earn the favour of your god in game by doing things that please them. If it's your goal you should still pursue it. You have to get permission from the head shaper in Ralinwood to actually take the class. You can never make a new character that starts as one of them.

The system is PvP ready and it does happen. There could be consequences. There could not be. I'd recommend trying the game and getting a feel for it. I don't think I could give you a could honest answer past that.

You can bank your cp and spend it as you'd like later. You'll notice that you'll need to in order to buy many of the things out there. I would recommend not playing a templar for your very first game ever, but that's my personal suggestion and you should still play what you'd like. You do get a remort (remake) of your character after your very first game so you might want to play something that gives you more of a taste for combat or magic depending on which way you're leaning.

You'll probably want to set up camp in town center along the treeline. There's likely some other people there. You can make friends after you've moved in and had a chance to see the different camps IG (in-game)
Piece of garbage fire looking Einher.