The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] is_dir(): open_basedir restriction in effect. File(/english) is not within the allowed path(s): (/var/www/vhosts/underworldralinwood.ca/:/tmp/) - Line: 441 - File: global.php PHP 7.4.33 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
[PHP] errorHandler->error_callback
/global.php 441 is_dir
/showthread.php 28 require_once

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Character Mask
So im thinking of making a mask for my gargylen character. And just have a few question that will help me with going about making it. First what would be the best material to use. I was thinking plaster, because its pretty solid once dried. Secondly with sweating being an issue is thier anything i can add to the mask to help absorb it, and make it a little more tolerable to wear?.

As a hint to how it will be, i plan on cutting out a good portion for the mouth. And will have it designed to have an open area for the nose and eyes, as i wear glasses. Im pretty much blind without them so its a necessity lol Tongue

I'd really appreciate any help in this, as this will be my first time making a mask that's wearable Smile
A 5'2 gargylen female, with the brown shoulder length hair, black studded leather armor. And a shy and kind demenor

OOG: Nicole Resendes
Let me tell you, from one mask wearer to another.....Don't do it! They are miserable to wear full time. But if you are insistent on wearing one, plaster will be your best bet. As for sweat wicking materials....i am not really sure. Just start rubbing soft fabrics on your face until you find one that you like.

I really advise against full time masks though. Makeup is your beat friend when playing these kind of races.
- The All Seeing Eye -
- Backstory Wizard -

Backstory Email: backstories@underworldralinwood.ca
Personal Email: sierra@underworldralinwood.ca
Oh really?! i was told make up wasnt a very good option because it would aggravate the skin if its on for a long period of time. Im not dead set on a mask, but hearing how makeup might be better i may reconsider. Would it be allowed to have both a mask, and perhaps facepaint?. Just to have the option of switching from one to the other?. Of course not during the same day. Just perhaps in case during one game i find one is more tolerable then the other?
A 5'2 gargylen female, with the brown shoulder length hair, black studded leather armor. And a shy and kind demenor

I would go Make Up.. I do it for my Garg.. It''s easiest I find.. One wrong step and a mask could break.. With the kinda paint I use it stays on all event and then some!! But if you have issues with skin aggravation and the such I wouldn''t go so strong.. I think the mask idea is cool though.. You can still make the mask and wear it on top of the paint when you want to.. It would just suck to have a mask break or something,, have to go to NPC camp for paint,, and find out your skin doesn''t agree with the paint they have on hand.. Finding a good paint for yourself would be best.. That''s my opinion on the matter at least.. I haven''t been doing this as long as most others so I could be wrong!!
A Gargylen with a broken left horn, favouring a shield, and has a child like wonderment towards everything. He is also Head of the Hospital Guard, and due to recent events his Horns are now Blue and slightly sparkles.

"I'm kinda an expert on being dead at this point!"

OOG: Davis McGrath
I agree with you when you say it all depends on the paint used. I used to use acrylic paint to do my arms back when i dressed up for Anime North. Of course i wasnt on my face, but my arm never broke out from what i recall. I know some paints can aggravate my skin, as ive had my face painted in the past for certain events that i went to. And my face and arms went red and itched. I may just need to do some experimenting, have a mask on the side in case. But see how my skin reacts to certain paints. Do you mind me asking the type of paint you use? Smile

I use an Alcohol Based paint.. Beyond that I have no idea.. Now that I think about it me buying my paint must look like a drug deal.. I just show up,, hand my art supplies person my money,, she gives me a small bag,, and I leave like 3 minutes later never bothering to ask questions about what I am buying.... Don''t do that.. Ask questions and stuff.. Knowing is half the battle and whatnot..
A Gargylen with a broken left horn, favouring a shield, and has a child like wonderment towards everything. He is also Head of the Hospital Guard, and due to recent events his Horns are now Blue and slightly sparkles.

"I'm kinda an expert on being dead at this point!"

OOG: Davis McGrath
Lol didnt know thier were drug deals for paint, that would be a fun business Tongue. I'm sure if i do a bit of research i can find it, or just simply ask around and see if anyone knows of the paint your talking about

Do NOT. I repeat DO NOT uses acrylic paint on your face. Holy crap on a cracker, please, please don't do it.

There are many facepaint options that are affordable and completely safe. Snazzaroo, Wolf, Mehron, Ben Nye, Graftobian. I recommend those, in that exact order. Snazz, Wolf, and Mehron are all water based paints, non toxic and completely safe to use on your face and around your eyes. Snazz is $7-8 at your local art supplies store.

Ben Nye, and Graftobian are generally oil based makeups, they tend to last much much longer, but they will irritate your skin.

Doyly uses alchohol based make-up, which is amazing for lasting the whole weekend, but holy hell is it expensive, and will not come off after the event is over.

Since you are playing a grey skinned race, my main advice doesn't really stand, but I always emphasize the use of cosmetic makeup (like, girl make up. The stuff that you find in Shoppers) over all else. But since you are playing an odd coloured race, this option cannot really happen as they don't make grey foundation.
- The All Seeing Eye -
- Backstory Wizard -

Sorry, I got a little heated in that last post.

Please be nice to your skin and don't paint yourself with acrylic paint. There is a big difference between skin safe latex paint, and acrylic latex paint. Please be safe.
- The All Seeing Eye -
- Backstory Wizard -

Oh nonono i never used Acrylic paint on my face, it was used on my arm. Back when i went as Edward Elric from Full metal Alchemist. I didnt have the sufficient items at the time to really make the costume and such i wanted. So i had to work with what i had. I would never put that type of paint on my face.

I will definitely search these products up, and perhaps see how some of them react with my skin. I didnt know thats how long the makeup lasted that doyly used. I dont know if i'd want to be gray for more then a weekend lol. I'd probably get some funny looks. Thank you for all the great suggestions, i will for sure have a look into them Smile

As for cosmetic makeup some of that stuff does affect my skin. So i guess its kind of good its not available in gray?. Im sure i can make something work. I appreciate all the suggestions, and sorry for the misunderstanding with the acrylic