The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] is_dir(): open_basedir restriction in effect. File(/english) is not within the allowed path(s): (/var/www/vhosts/underworldralinwood.ca/:/tmp/) - Line: 441 - File: global.php PHP 7.4.33 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
[PHP] errorHandler->error_callback
/global.php 441 is_dir
/showthread.php 28 require_once

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Question About Taxes
Thumbs Up 
I was a little surprised to see that camps who fail to scrounge together the money they need would not only lose their protection under the law, but also have their status publicly announced. So essentially stripped of whatever rights their citizenship once gave them, and very openly at that. 

What I’m wondering is if the Wardens genuinely mean this to be an act of shaming to ensure taxes are paid, or if this is a sign much a thinly veiled threat as it appears to announce to a formal penal colony which of their neighbors you can legally steal from or assault because they couldn’t a scrape three silver together. 

Just curious if that’s an intended or accidental side effect. 

- Carrion
IG: A human man in a crow skull mask, grey stole, and black clerical vestments. Occasionally carries an iron or silver dagger, but more often seen without any visible weapons or amour to speak of.

OOG: Danny Heintz, he/him. Transmasc in progress, please disregard mine bræsts. 

The Wardens would like to think of it more as community self policing.

Dr. Moran
Reluctant Warden Aide
Ori Moran: A purple feathered Avian with a red hat who carries a black and white shield. She has three Shadow Marks over one eye and a scar through the other.

Nelinha: Some asshole Ice Elf. Has a bright red hooded scarf and a black winged brooch.

OOG: Alex Heintz - NPL - Official Ralinmeme Maker
So, intended. Thank you for your candor.

- Carrion
IG: A human man in a crow skull mask, grey stole, and black clerical vestments. Occasionally carries an iron or silver dagger, but more often seen without any visible weapons or amour to speak of.

You may appeal to your nobility for a better solution.

A tiered system of gradually relaxed protections as debt accumulates, leading to full lack of protection under the law, was rejected.

- Promise
Piece of garbage fire looking Einher.
I have found that appealing to people with a reward rather than a punishment works as a far better motivator. If the nobility and the Wardens fear that people are unwilling to pay their taxes, perhaps find out why they're so put off by the idea, since one would assume you all have a lovely list of ways our taxes are helping the town and going back in our community in a way that can be shown off and make us feel like they actually make a difference.

If people are unable to pay their taxes, that's another issue entirely, and no amount of stripping them of their rights is going to fix this.

To me the current systems appears as if those who can defend themselves will continue to be wealthy and powerful with no need to bother paying taxes, while those who might struggle to make any sort of profit in their day to day life will continue to be left defenseless and destitute.

- Carrion

Tax collection went well and we are not concerned about the future of tax collection in Ralinwood. If you know of complaints or specific cases of imposed poverty we would appreciate handling them somewhere besides the notice board. We are unconcerned with any present hostility towards taxes, given the nature of taxes, and the nature of Ralinwood's populace.

We are not given any knowledge of how the nobility spends the town's taxes. If this is something you are passionate about, requesting an audience with the nobility would seem a reasonable step to me.

We could see about dedicating resources towards writing a monthly report of ongoing activity. If there are multiple people interested in such, their individual coming forward would be appreciated.

- Warden Promise.
Piece of garbage fire looking Einher.