The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] is_dir(): open_basedir restriction in effect. File(/english) is not within the allowed path(s): (/var/www/vhosts/underworldralinwood.ca/:/tmp/) - Line: 441 - File: global.php PHP 7.4.33 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
[PHP] errorHandler->error_callback
/global.php 441 is_dir
/showthread.php 28 require_once

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Event Review - Highwinter: It's Infectious
Great game everyone. Highwinter is always a silly event, but we hope you still had a blast. Congratulations to the new NPC team on their first event, and thank you all for your hard work. And thank YOU to the PCs for making the event a blast.

And with that.. Tell us your thoughts! What did you like, what needs improvements, what are your favourite memories? Let us know!

Any concerns or major complaints, please feel free to email contact@underworldralinwood.ca to speak to the Owners (myself and Dan) directly.
Owner - Tavernkeep - Forums Admin - Cat Herder
Email: ivanna@underworldralinwood.ca
Never before has a day mod tired me out so much. My legs ache, my back is stiff, my arms are heavy, and I love it. This game was jam packed with excitement and mods that had interesting and amazing new mechanics.

The Mountain Mod. While the blindfolds were a little too thick to be considered "low visibility", this mechanic was awesome. Making each step count to try and move ourselves around without being able to see much, I would love to see this mechanic used again. 

The "Festus" Infection. A fun new mechanic that I am glad only comes once a year LMAO. Having the effects posted everywhere made it really easy to remember what each stage did. 

NPCs did an amazing job as always and I am looking forward to joining the team this year. This was a great event to end the season on. Happy High Winter everyone!
Epic NPC Man!! -guitar riff-
This event was great!

Those keyword masks were so cool!

Dan's highlander was really satisfying and was a really good example of how one npc can keep 20 goons busy for an hour.

The orc fast! Thanks again guys!

Maris warming cabin/personality.

The mods were all so creative. They all had neat mechanics that were easy to understand.

Hyped for the next one. Go team.
Admitedly I didn't do all that much during this event! While I had high hopes for the shapers, a combination of my inability to keep warm and the very very little ammount of sleep I got mostly had me RPing in the warm cabin. However, I've heard nothing but good things about the mods that went out from both a player and NPC perspective.

Personal Highlights:

- Getting a hilariously specific word to trigger my transformation into a murder nutcracker. My statline was
apparently one of the gnarlier ones, but no one quite managed to bring up Lilith in conversation.

- The Brewlord's feast was amazing. Very glad they made it open to those outside their camp, the food was fantastic and I enjoyed watching some of it be made over the fire.

- The warm cabin as a whole.

- Piggin.

- Went off into the woods to have a nice talk with some people, they know who they are.

- The magic aura was a nice touch and saved me from having to slog around with my banner when I was cold and tired.

- The performance of basically every NPC I saw, but special mention goes out to anyone who played a toy soldier.

- Grumpy Murder Santa and his sack.

Personal Lowlights:

- If you're the type of person that just really desperately wants to steal someone's only weapon on Highwinter because they had the poor sense to turn their back on it in the warm cabin for two minutes, that's your prerogative. If you hang onto it for upwards of an hour and only turn the now tagless rep into NPC camp after game is called, however, that's kind of just cheating. Ivanna and the rest of the team have tried repeatedly to remind people that you should alert NPC camp when you've stolen a tagged rep so decisions can be made concerning if they want the rep back or to make you carry it around. Don't steal from people if you can't be bothered to follow the rules regarding it.

EDIT: The person who took the dagger saw this post and explained to me what happened. Apparently there was just a mix up with when the rep was turned in vs when it was located and returned to my sister. Attempts were made to follow the rules, and I know NPC camp got pretty hectic, so no harm no foul. However, said individual has received different directions from different shapers in the past, so another reminder and attempts to standardize the practice might be warranted both for players and the new shaper team just to make sure everyone is on the same page about the process. In a game that both eagerly allows for theft and encourages the use of expensive reps, it can't hurt to do a refresher.

- As usual Sapper was chosen for the warm cabin due to its nice placement, but I think we can all agree it's kind of the crappiest one for actually keeping warm. It only recently got weather stripping (and on only one of the doors) and had a pretty constant flow of people opening and closing the door (or just opening it and walking away). While I doubt it'll ever be convenient to move the warm cabin to another, and liked that mods happened within the rest, people being a little more considerate of its limitations would be nice. Poor Mari tried so hard to keep it happy and toasty and then the temperature would suddenly drop after people ran in and out and left the door wide open.
IG: A human man in a crow skull mask, grey stole, and black clerical vestments. Occasionally carries an iron or silver dagger, but more often seen without any visible weapons or amour to speak of.

OOG: Danny Heintz, he/him. Transmasc in progress, please disregard mine bræsts. 

This was one of the best day events I've been to, I want to give so much love to the new shaper team as I think they really came out strong. I thought there was a lot of RP fun to be had outside of just with players, which I don't always see. I loved that so much as a non-combat PC.

The sneak mod was really well done, and way too fun. Stealing 5silver from some naughty lil buggers and avoiding bells taped under a damn table was so fun, and an all-around enjoyable lil short mod.

Being forced into combat with the cursed gingerbread man thing was also great fun, though somewhat tiring after a time. There was some confusion with that, but I mainly chalk that up to not having much combat experience myself. Everything was cleared up when asked and despite having a super common trigger word I really did enjoy it. It was worth it alone just to run off people who thought saying my trigger was funny.

Anytime I can give Gigo a hard time is a good time, even more so when we're having a pretty emotionally charged moment while neither of us can say 'I' and he had to sing everything he said.

The feast was great fun, as is all orc cookouts. Zuul may be a better camp mom then I when it comes to keeping us all fed
but again please keep in mind if you bring stuff to things like this take care of your trash! It wasn't as bad as it normally can get around where we do things like this, but there was still some trash left behind that wasn't ours. It will happen, but please, try to remember your stuff.
A life-worn, tired [yet happy] Wood fae with a taste for hallucinogens.

(OOG: Cyn. They/them.)
Thank you to all the NPCs and Shapers for all your hard work!

The Good:
  • I want to start off by saying I don't go in hoping High Winter will be a good event, I go in hoping it will be a good High Winter. The content is often so zany or spread out that my bar is very low. This event, though, blew me out of the water. It was possibly one of my favourite day mods in 3 years of playing 2 guilds. Pacing was good, there were a variety of different mods, I felt I could actually contribute, and it was really funny without being horribly infernal.
  • PC organized things like the warming cabin and the Brewlord Feast were lovely and I really appreciate all the effort people put into those types of things. Having the game mechanic encourage people to take a break and warm up was a wonderful idea.
  • Rob and Ivanna managed to make me cry over an NPC I knew for all of ten minutes. I can count the amount of NPCs I have cried over in Ralinwood on one hand, so that's saying something.
  • Nice to actually see some single charge chemistries/rituals/artifices out. It was a pain to get them last year (partially due to IG stuff, I know), so seeing the plot team starting to send them out early is delightful.
  • Tikkin and Stikkin, my two wonderful toy soldiers, will be missed dearly. Hiring them led to some of the most hilarious RP of that event, such as being triggered into turning into a snow man and killing Stikkin or poor Tikkin saying "that was my dear friend" after killing one of the other toy soldiers to protect me.
  • 3 years in a row and across 2 different PCs I have found the one death alchemy ornament/christmas box. I'm not even mad anymore. It's hilarious and I appreciate this year's one not actually killing me outright. It was worth the Shadowmark all day.

The Less Good:
  • Blindfolds + ice + mousetraps = massive safety hazard. If somebody had slipped on the snow due to the reduced visibility of the mountain mod and taken a mousetrap to the face that would have been a potential player injury. 
  • The cabin puzzles grabbed a whole bunch of people to sit around and do a puzzle for 20 minutes and then there was no reward. That was kind of frustrating. It was cramped and half the group was just sitting around while the others figured it out and then we were sent on our way feeling we accomplished nothing.
  • Shapers/marshals yelling at everybody to "shut the fuck up and listen" when we have just arrived on the mod site is kind of uncalled for. I love swearing. I swear constantly. But there is a time and a place for it and shapers should have some degree of professionalism when explaining mechanics.
  • If you write something on the back of a tag (ex. the contact death with the 'after 10 seconds you're fine' note on the back) please indicate you should turn the tag over. It was taped to a box and if Falcon hadn't happened to pull the tag to look at it then life spells would have gotten burned. ilu Falcon. 
  • I'm kind of frustrated that if you put down a ritual circle on the old site you can't use it when we're on this site. If I had realized all the day events would be at Peacekeeper and my ritual circle would be useless for half the season I would have made it a 3 month and then recast it rather than a year long one.
Ori Moran: A purple feathered Avian with a red hat who carries a black and white shield. She has three Shadow Marks over one eye and a scar through the other.

Nelinha: Some asshole Ice Elf. Has a bright red hooded scarf and a black winged brooch.

OOG: Alex Heintz - NPL - Official Ralinmeme Maker
My first Highwinter, and I was not at all disappointed! I had a lot of fun!

Highlights!
-Feast, as always, thanks Orcs for the great food!
-The Mountain Climb! That mod was hella fun, an tired me out right away! It was really nice to have a mod that wasnt all combat!
-The Sneak Mod to infiltrate Lady Amanatas bedroom an gift her something, that was hilarious fun! Never have I had so much fun being a literal distraction before!
-The Mage Tower Tag Game! You do not know how badly I wish Grog Guard was a real spell! Id get smashed outta my gourd all day with that bugger! An it was a lot of fun to just Have Fun for once instead of being in a deadly brawl to the death with a beast that wants to eat you! (Instead it was a game of Tag to he sortadeath against your friends!)
-That Infection of Festivus or whatever it was, it was amazing! I had a lot of fun singing my way through conversations, good thing I already am sorta singsongy with my words!
-The battle with Bronze Leon was hard an great, I am sorry i had to tap out before the end of it, I was dead tired!
-Sticky Finger Joe an the spookiness he was, it was great to use the Shaman Mask for a while an have a conversation with a spook that meant no harm! Just good fun!

Thanks a lot new Shaper Team, it was loads of fun! Keep it up, an I cant wait to see what else you bring out!
ok first let me just say this is by far, and i mean by a lot, the best high winter ive ever been too.

+leon stole high winter is probably the best running gag/joke thats been going on for a long time.
+watching new shapers cut their teeth on mods, is great. yall be learning.
+so many people adding to their costumes was great,
+THAT GLAMMER SHOULD HAPPEN EVERY HIGH WINTER JUST SAYING
+there was always something to do and nothing was horrible stated

- everybody needs a refresher on how, carriers, massive and back splashes work.
-i saw a lot of wonky fighting , and far too many spills. everybody needs to be aware what is safe and not safe

ill add more when i remember more
Good, Bad  either way im the guy with the Gasglobe. .

Wildelf (Baby) male, seen dressed in leathers and Green and black attire. Im fancier than you.
House of I
Wardens

CO HEAD NPL.

(OOG :JUSTIN HOLLANDER)
jj.hollander59@gmail.com