The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] is_dir(): open_basedir restriction in effect. File(/english) is not within the allowed path(s): (/var/www/vhosts/underworldralinwood.ca/:/tmp/) - Line: 441 - File: global.php PHP 7.4.33 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
[PHP] errorHandler->error_callback
/global.php 441 is_dir
/showthread.php 28 require_once

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Build advice - Mercenary vs Templar - StrongStabs vs SpellStabs
So at the last event I played a mercenary with a longspear and flurry of blows. While I did enjoy it, I 've not had the chance to try out the games magic system so I'm unsure if I'll be missing out if I stay merc on this character.  I've been wondering about a respec over to templar, but as my second game is fast approaching, I'll need to make up my mind soon.

So, I was looking for advice! Think I should stay mercenary and just work on maximizing my spear body damage, or should I diversify and maybe not have as strong damage but have some basic spellcasting for versatility? In general it seems in most tabletop games I've played characters that focused more on versatility, so the idea of maybe having some basic magical protection and healing, with potential for differen't elemental damage options sounds useful to me. But as I don't know how the magic system plays out in this game I'm not sure if that's the best route or even if it's viable?

Just to note, I don't plan on being a full templar healer. My sister is a healer bard, and I don't want to intrude on her focus too much.

Now, If I do stay mercenary, where should I be focusing my blankets? Other then basic useful things like weapon spec and sap, I'm not really sure where my points should go long term?

I'd really appreciate it if anyone could help break the classes down for me so I can make an informed decision.
-Valna-
A wildelf in simple clothing that wields a spear and tends to get herself into more trouble then she probably should.
"This is a chance for me to get back some of what I've lost."

~Player of Yaya the Orc Doctor
~Emily 'Em' McGarvey
Email: mythicfables(at)hotmail(dot)com
What race do you intend on playing?
- The All Seeing Eye -
- Backstory Wizard -

Backstory Email: backstories@underworldralinwood.ca
Personal Email: sierra@underworldralinwood.ca
I plan on sticking with a Wildelf that hates undead. I'm not super thrilled with the hated enemy mechanic, but I like the race for lore and story, so I'm sticking with it.
-Valna-
A wildelf in simple clothing that wields a spear and tends to get herself into more trouble then she probably should.
"This is a chance for me to get back some of what I've lost."

~Player of Yaya the Orc Doctor
~Emily 'Em' McGarvey
Email: mythicfables(at)hotmail(dot)com
I play a Mercenary at Jericho and I love it. It is fun to just beat the crap out of things. I use simple weapons and spec'd them until I swung 5s, and then I bought all of my class abilities, a slay and a few Frag skills.

There are many ways to go with mercenary, I find them to be incredibly versatile. So I guess it depends on what you want to do.

Magic is really fun too. Keep in mind that Magic runs out, while swords are forever. So if you go full mage, you will be usefull until your spells run out. Templars have the great advantage of always being somewhat useful, in that they can usually swing a weapon when their spells run out.

In our system, you have to purchase magic spheres, one at a time. There are 5 main ones, and each sphere you purchase gets more and more expensive. It is reasonable for a Mage to have 2 spheres of magic, but a templar will likely only ever have 1.

Protections Templars are very popular, and very effective. Protections casters can be money makers if you sell your spells, and you will always have protections for yourself.

I will make some builds for a 3 blanket character and post them here.
- The All Seeing Eye -
- Backstory Wizard -

MERCENARY
Blankets: 3
Available CP: 323
Used CP: 290
CP Left: 33
Skills:
Flurry of Blows X 1   40
Spec +1 Specific 2H Spear/Trident   100
Group Prof. Simple   0
Prof. Exotic 2H Spear/Trident   100
Body Point Bonus X 1   50
Racial: Chosen Enemy - Undead Dmg +1

MERCENARY
Skills:
Spec +1 Specific 2H Spear/Trident   200
Group Prof. Simple   0
Prof. Exotic 2H Spear/Trident   100

MAGE
I chose nature here because it is a good solo sphere of magic. It is the most powerful sphere we have. In my opinion.
Skills:
Read and Write   40
Read Magic   15
1st Circle slots:5   50
2nd Circle slots:5   50
3rd Circle slots:4   80
4th Circle slots:2   40
Sphere 1: Nature    25
Group Prof. Simple   0

TEMPLAR
I went with a staff here, only because if you bought exotic weapons, you wouldn't be able to purchase fun things until much much later. 
Blankets: 3
Skills:
Read and Write   45
Read Magic   20
1st Circle slots: 3   30
2nd Circle slots: 2   20
Sphere 1: Protections    75
Spec +1 Specific Staff   130
Group Prof. Simple   0
- The All Seeing Eye -
- Backstory Wizard -

Try fiddling with this character builder - LINK

This is a great tool to plan out your characters.

Note: This is an unofficial Character Builder and is missing some new content. Nothing that you will notice while making this kind of character.
- The All Seeing Eye -
- Backstory Wizard -

I play a Templar,, and I say if you are going for an Undead Hating Wild Elf than Magic is your best friend.. While going a straight magic based class would also work,, you don''t get all the lovely Body Points that Warrior get.. Out of the 2,, I vote Templar,, however some classes just don''t work for some people..
A Gargylen with a broken left horn, favouring a shield, and has a child like wonderment towards everything. He is also Head of the Hospital Guard, and due to recent events his Horns are now Blue and slightly sparkles.

"I'm kinda an expert on being dead at this point!"

OOG: Davis McGrath
Templars are great for versatility, if that's what you're going for. It takes longer to hit the really 'versatile' point with Templar (Scroll Harvest at level 6). If you're anxious to get into the fray and feel like you're really laying the smackdown on something I'd go for a Mercenary. My own experience with the Templar (and this is from how I built it) is that without some magical assistance I'm hitting something with good intentions, but the durability IS nice.
Piece of garbage fire looking Einher.
Another big thing about templar vs merc is dealing with monsters with magic threshold. Without being given a buff spell or finding a magic weapon, a pure warrior with no magic has no answer to a creature that only takes damage from magic. In contrast, templars can get access to scroll harvest to use spells outside their spheres like psionic blade and elemental/greater elemental blade, and on top of that, can learn to cast damage-dealing magic themselves.
Elemental casting Templar.

Magic swords! Wut wut!
- The All Seeing Eye -
- Backstory Wizard -