Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Build advice - Mercenary vs Templar - StrongStabs vs SpellStabs
Your dang skippy, Sierra! >: D
IG: A young High Elf man. He wears his chain shirt and studded vest under a black tabard with white crossed swords. His longsword and shield hang at his waist. His pointed ears are adorned with metal cuffs. 

OOG: Dustin Smith - 2018 Medical Marshal
I say one thing and all the Templars start coming out of the woodwork....
A Gargylen with a broken left horn, favouring a shield, and has a child like wonderment towards everything. He is also Head of the Hospital Guard, and due to recent events his Horns are now Blue and slightly sparkles.

"I'm kinda an expert on being dead at this point!"

OOG: Davis McGrath
Templar offers you a more hybrid approach to the game, late game making you flexible with the ability to scroll harvest many things. Mercenary has a lot more throughput, you are always able to keep fighting as long as you can keep swinging your arm.
~*~*~*~
Matthew Weaver
A human male with a black and white tabard bearing the hourglass of Vesmir. His armour looks well used and sports damage.
Its a bit of a balance. More often than not, picking a 'pure' class will allow you to be 'stronger' in most situations. The trade-off with hybrid classes is situational versatility. If you plan on playing a hybrid you should have a clear vision of what you want to do, and plan to the blanket, because you can't be 'okay' just by throwing skills on your card like you can with a pure class.

Of course, if you're not good at fight or etc you can be a level 5000 superdemon and still not do well.
OOG: Constantine Collias
I'm really having a hard time making a decision. Both classes seem fun. Both have interesting class powers. I think I'm probably too new to be properly planning out an effective templar build with magic at this point, and yet, I think one of my characters primary concerns will be that at some point the undead will come for her and that she needs to be ready for that. So.... That does mean templar then? But what kind of magic? Elemental for the damage types or protection for defense? I don't know. Maybe I could go templar, and just buy combat stuff for now and buy into the magic over time as I play? I looked at the character creator though and it seemed like that rout means a looking time before I'll have access to anything really useful...

How good are mercenaries at fighting undead?
-Valna-
A wildelf in simple clothing that wields a spear and tends to get herself into more trouble then she probably should.
"This is a chance for me to get back some of what I've lost."

~Player of Yaya the Orc Doctor
~Emily 'Em' McGarvey
Email: mythicfables(at)hotmail(dot)com
Mercs are great at killing undead....But they need magic in order to do it. They can swing really hard, but without magic on their weapons, they do no damage.

I honestly would recommend a Templar for your first character. They are great and versatile, that said, you are right, they do take a while to get going, but once you get a few levels under your belt you will be very happy. The Templars class abilities are insanely helpful, in that they can read scrolls and use that spell. Very handy if you need a quick spell but you are all tapped out. Templars are also really great at using battle magic, boosting their damage breifly, and breaking weapons.

Mercenaries are great fun to, but they only do one thing really well. Fight. Their class abilities are good, really fun even, but they are focused around hitting things. They can stun people, slow people down, dismember them, and sharpen weapons.

If you went Templar, I would recommend choosing Elemental magic, if you wanted to kill some undead. If you plan on running away more, or selling your spells, go for protections.
- The All Seeing Eye -
- Backstory Wizard -

Backstory Email: backstories@underworldralinwood.ca
Personal Email: sierra@underworldralinwood.ca
I know you said you didn't want to copy the bard but healing templars are good at that too. Just be aware that people will want the healing spells more often then the undead show up (maybe).
Piece of garbage fire looking Einher.
Healing Templars are amazing. They will never be able to cast "Life" spells, but they can sure Scroll Harvest them.

I know other Templars can scrolls harvest it too...but Healing Templars are really great. You will always be usefull.
- The All Seeing Eye -
- Backstory Wizard -

Backstory Email: backstories@underworldralinwood.ca
Personal Email: sierra@underworldralinwood.ca
Psionics Templar for a Wild Elf hating undead is a good choice since a level 3 and a level 7 spell creates a magic weapon which will allow you to hurt the undead and to which your bonus will stack on the weapon. The crowd control spells are useful as well.

I play a Psionics casting High Elf in the Jericho chapter that went away from the typical Templar build of only buying spells up to 6th level and then buying Scroll Harvests. I cast up to 9th level spells though my character is a level 16 character. Going my build requires about 5 years of game play so long term planning.
"Once you start cutting do not stop until your prey lies at your feet a steaming heap."

Human male, 30s, wears a mix of studded leather and plate, and armed with various knives.

OOG Name - Brad Stevens
Okay, So I figure I'll go with Templar, and get myself exotic proff for my spear, and exotic spec for the +1 damage, and then read and write. Educated and stabby. *nodnods~*

If the character creator is right, I'll have a basic set of spells by my 5th blanket at the end of the season. Plenty of time for me to get a feel for the game and learn how the magic systems in this game work, and what sphere/affinity I should select.
-Valna-
A wildelf in simple clothing that wields a spear and tends to get herself into more trouble then she probably should.
"This is a chance for me to get back some of what I've lost."

~Player of Yaya the Orc Doctor
~Emily 'Em' McGarvey
Email: mythicfables(at)hotmail(dot)com