The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] is_dir(): open_basedir restriction in effect. File(/english) is not within the allowed path(s): (/var/www/vhosts/underworldralinwood.ca/:/tmp/) - Line: 441 - File: global.php PHP 7.4.33 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
[PHP] errorHandler->error_callback
/global.php 441 is_dir
/printthread.php 16 require_once

Underworld Ralinwood Forums
Event Review - Sequela (May 2019 Four Day) - Printable Version

+- Underworld Ralinwood Forums (http://www.underworldralinwood.ca/forums)
+-- Forum: Out Of Game Forums (http://www.underworldralinwood.ca/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Community (http://www.underworldralinwood.ca/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: Event Review - Sequela (May 2019 Four Day) (/showthread.php?tid=4881)

Pages: 1 2 3

Event Review - Sequela (May 2019 Four Day) - Ivanna - 05-20-2019

Thank you everyone for a really wonderful opening game. It was exciting to see so many new faces and a genuine pleasure to see some old faces. I haven't seen town come together so well in a long time - I couldn't be prouder. We hope you had as much fun as I did!

And without further ado.. Tell us your thoughts! What did you like, what needs improvements, what are your favourite memories? Let us know! If the feedback is positive enough, we'll see about running this kind of event again in the nearer future.

Any concerns or major complaints, please feel free to email contact@underworldralinwood.ca to speak to the Owners (myself and Dan) directly.

RE: Event Review - Sequela (May 2019 Four Day) - Granyte the Ogre - 05-20-2019

Let's get this hype train rolling!

Wasn't the best weekend personally for me so I felt disconnected for a large part but I felt the love of friends old and new and I am glad I forced myself to go.

The good! 
I wanna be......A Warden!!! Enough said.
Playing a new drinking game (new for most people) was a blast and seeing the RP of super drunks was amazing. 
Stop! You're under arrest! -Beelines for the trees- How does such a chubby guy move so damned fast?! 

The not so good...
Face shots, ouch. We spoke during event but guys, seriously, bows are the worst weapons for player injury and I know you guys love the range but seriously, ouch. 

The mediocre.
Laundry, will it never end? All of NPC costuming is being thoroughly sorted and cleaned so hopefully we will start seeing some unique pieces coming out soon! Note for all NPCs, Shift, Event or other, if you take a costume piece, please either return it to its proper place or let me know so that I can. 

Sincerely, your not-official costume fixer / cleaner guy.

RE: Event Review - Sequela (May 2019 Four Day) - sarahhare - 05-20-2019

The good: OMFGs....THE PLOT...THE RP...THE EVERYTHING. *dies*
The bad: My poor feet. My poor skin (sunburn). My poor heart (wait WHOOOO finaled? no they didn't)
The ugly: I had a donation for NPC camp...did I remember to give it in? Nope! Next time.
The rest of it: Serious applause to the NPC/Shaper crew as well as all the PC's...it was a great event. I love each and every one of you like family (even if I need to discuss getting a sapping cast iron pan rep to stop CERTAIN PEOPLE from charging in every time OLIVER).

RE: Event Review - Sequela (May 2019 Four Day) - Zia Sashana - 05-20-2019

I didn't stay too long or get to do too much, but Friday night was wonderfully chaotic and I had some really great rp overall! I wish my lungs had been more cooperative Sad It was a great event for chasing down all the little threads of information and sort out what was and wasn't true, and I'm glad I got to do some of that even just sitting laid up in my cabin on Saturday. I love all of my cabinmates and was glad of all the excellent RP I had with everyone.

Thanks to all who put the event together - a four day is a heck of a way to get thrown in to full season shaping! I'm sorry I wasn't able to contribute much for my NPC shift :/

RE: Event Review - Sequela (May 2019 Four Day) - Ebon Shadowmane - 05-20-2019

Great Event overall for me, have to give props too NPC camp for doing all they did this event with such little help. I have never NPCed in Ralinwood, after npcing fulltime at another larp and it leaving a bad taste in my mouth opting out seemed so easy, but helping out was so much more fun. Dan and Ivanna and the rest of the NPC crew are very welcoming and accepting and hard working, and they all do so much. I got to go out as Assassins at night, my einher that kept remembering his deaths and coming back for more, a beefy Citadel Swashbuckler, even a scardy-cat gremmel, I had a blast. I will definately be picking up more npc shifts this year and really hope other people will too. With more people npcing, the more fun things can be sent out for all your friends, and the more epic the big moments can feel!

Watching town from the other side was really neat experience, I've always had the "Town is so dumb" moments from Ebons side of things, and now I got too experience it from the enemies point of view, and take advantage of it too haha. The little shieldwall was kind of neat for the minute or so it held, keep at it town!

The only RP moments I remember while playing as Ebon were, posing with Chu+Aine in SwashBUCKLER,the Monster Hunter mod and figuring out the monsters tells and combat, walking around with Spiders, and taking part in the first FAE games thing.

Id also like too apologize too anybody that wanted too RP with Ebon after Sunday Afternoon, I had decided after what had happened too take a break from the character until I felt better, and then I got too distracted having fun as an NPC too go back into character. I'm not sure if I will be putting Ebon on the backburner for a little bit until theres a super clear ruling, I might play an ALT or something new until then. If theres anything urgent you can catch me on the discord too pass those msgs or do those roleplays until the nextime i prelog as another character. Smile

Overall really great event, larp is amazing, ralinwood is all amazing, and your all the best!

RE: Event Review - Sequela (May 2019 Four Day) - Dr. Moran - 05-20-2019

Thank you to the shaper team and NPCs for all the hard work they did leading up to and during this event. First weekends are hard enough without it also being a 4-day, but the effort is appreciated. I had a pretty good time, soreness aside, and I'm looking forward to June. (Also, sorry this got long, it was a solid event but I have a lot of feedback.)

Good:
• The "Citadel" mod was one of my favourite ever town mods to date. I have never gone 0-100 so quickly in stress levels at Ralinwood. The sealing of the building, the use of flares and fireworks, the screaming and panicking as people tried to find their friends and drag others out of the building, the confusion about who was actually attacking and why... all of it was on point. The shield wall was a thing of beauty, even though my Avian is a killjoy who thought everybody banging on their shields was childish. Overall the best mod of the game in my opinion.
• Yoshi's makeup and acting skills for the shadow monster were so on point that people came running across site in no armour because they were so freaked out by her shrieking. Cue whispers of "wait, is there something on your face, doctor?" followed by "Wait are those your TEETH?" while people backed up.
• There seemed to be a bunch of instamods out, and that's always lovely to see. I found my first one this weekend and it happened to be connected to a plot I've been following, so that was extra nice. I smacked a fae in the face with an iron club. That will definitely have no repercussions later.
• Rob and Jen seem very willing to interact with/humor PCs attempts to make their own fun/interact with their plots in strange ways. Sometimes these end horribly but hey, that's part of the fun of the game. You get your best stories from those moments.
• We had so many quality new players and there seemed to be a bunch of yellow armbanded creatures for them to interact with. I'm really glad NPC camp stepped up to make sure they had content they could interact with.
• Content was decently spaced. There were a number of gaps but considering how exhausted a lot of people were, it provided some welcome time to lie around napping or 

Less Good:
• The final mod felt rushed and kind of lackluster. There was 0 time between the fight ending and game being called so most of us had no idea what, if anything, we had actually just done or accomplished. I arrived a tad bit late so maybe I missed all the exposition but everybody I talked to was very confused about what we were doing and why, besides "save some farmers and kill the big alligator". Also geez, PCs, massive goes to armour AND body, some people took WAY too much damage from the gator. Either way, I know that the last day of event is always when everybody is dead on their feet but ending on a climactic fight is also nice.
• The difference in loot from mods was massive. The Citadel mod, for the most part, gave out 1 silver per NPC. Better loot dropped in the final wave apparently, but the small payout didn't really balance out the amount of resources we had to burn. Other difficult to fight animals in the battle with the Grey Draconian only dropped a small amount of RM despite the challenge. Contrast this with some mods where multiple people walked out of it with spirit linked magic weapons or other magic items. I think better loot balancing is something this team really needs to work on.
• NPC camp miscommunications were again a big problem. Mod hooks seemed confused at times, and if PCs went to NPC camp for clarification we were sometimes told the wrong thing and ended up heading to the wrong place. Same with shapers walking PCs down a path for 10 minutes and then realizing they're going the wrong way and backtracking. 4 day weekends are exhausting enough without going to the wrong mod site and needing to go back and then down a different path.
• People were way too rough this event, and there were a bunch of injuries caused by either arrows or shield bashes or other dangerous swings. People need to be way more careful but screaming at others also doesn't help anything. Pregame combat demos, especially for archers, should probably become more of a thing. Otherwise, please remember that a medium touch game means you are only swinging hard enough that they can feel you, not wailing on each other.
• When sending out nighttime assassin mods like you did Saturday night, maybe check character level of the people you are murdering, please. Most of the people I saw in the resurrection circle that night were SUPER new and I'm not sure if the NPCs involved could actually see who they were killing or know who was under level 5 or not.
• The lights for my rez circle got completely trashed a day into event. Can't say I'm super surprised but I'm still a bit disappointed. Back to rope, I guess.

Personal Highlights:
• Dark church + Enna curb stomping my Cleric of Pandora after destroying her entire home with a few pillars of fire to the face. I got hauled off and returned to NPC camp just in time to hear "wait, were we the bad guys?"
• I got to be Ursel again for a bit to make Enna cry wish Enna a happy birthday. I'm truly amazed that horrible crown stayed on my head for the duration of the fight.
• Sparky came to see his mom and dad! Waiting around for Miahla to show up while Ori wandered around with a small group showing off her baby to anybody who would listen was worth me being dead tired in the morning.
• I have the best cabin. While I am fully prepared to throw down with anybody who sits on my bed without getting the dirt and leaves off of them first, I had so much fun shouting about lemons and trying to steal Nira's sword only for her to run off with my hat AND club.

RE: Event Review - Sequela (May 2019 Four Day) - Hannick - 05-20-2019

This event was really good for me!

Good stuff:
The hunt for Acrisia (spelling?) on Friday night! Even though I was NPCing and hunting her, when my PC did not necessarily want that outcome it was great.
The fae games were interesting, and continue to make me hate fae more. Please no interrupt my breakfast mister fae.
The Squamata plotline with the shauktar and gremmel, and having actions that the PCs did to help disentangle stuff matter. This actually felt really good and I appreciate it a lot and so did the other PCs. Having the gremmel come back and talk with us was super cool.
Jenn's mods were great. Would be kidnapped again. Also other things that were cool from her!
The presence of insta mods was good.
The Bothnia plot.
Sparky the fire lord.
The thickening plots and seeing how they might all be connected.

Meh:
A little misdirection when we were told that the farms and Two feather were being attacked and it seemed as if there were three mods (farms, blood bringers, two feathers).
Monday was very slow, this happens, NPCs get tired or leave or get sick.
Have the instamods be more spread out. Either harder to find, or do them in bunches as the instamod line was silly.
I also agree that the assassins felt bad because they targeted lower level PCs. I always feel that bandits, tent raids, assassins, etc. inordinately target weaker or lower level PCs. But death is part of the game, just maybe spread the love out.

Not so good stuff:
Loot inconsistencies. It felt pretty bad.

Additional notes
I actually like how that the Bothnia Einher DID NOT act exactly the same as all other Einher (NPC or otherwise). I heard several complaints that they didn't act like "real" Einher. But stereotypes get boring, it get's typical. For me this broke the mold, having to figure out motivation and expecting more problems from them in the future. It wouldn't be fun if all wild elves were nature loving pacifists. It wouldn't be fun if all Einher were strict Einish code following warriors.

RE: Event Review - Sequela (May 2019 Four Day) - Niramour - 05-21-2019

I genuinely can't think of any actual criticism. Well done. Perhaps everything fell apart after I left on Saturday night, but from what I saw, things were really good.

In particular:
- I happened to go on several of Jenn Wood's mods and they were uniformly excellent. Most of Underworld could take a note from you on horror - your shit is spooky as hell, and I love it. Your tooth monster was fucking terrifying. All your mods that I have seen are well thought out, well repped, and very satisfying. You have a really good sense of story - thanks for letting us take part in it!
- Fucking loved the fae scavenger hunt. Great job, Rob. Putting the 'game' back in LARP is a lot of fun. <3
- The craft cabin was well utilised as a tiny mod site

Specific highlights:
- Rob allowing creativity
- Joining Jenn's friend club
- Tagging along with Vadoma on the grossest field trip ever
- Staying in the (ugh, this name) Nighthenge - all of y'all were so damn delightful, I love the cabin and super enjoyed all the shenanigans/snacks
- Accidentally going on somebody else's date
- Going to parties with Alfric and Zia
- The new players were awesome - sorry I smacked you, Zegore, but you were great. Thanks for forgetting my name (not sarcasm)!
- Run - fight - hide from Bast
- The mod I stayed late for on Saturday night was entirely worth it
- Being mailed a penis which I absolutely did not put on anybody's bed
- The solution was shouting "eat me!" - and getting a magic item was super exciting/novel for me
- Playing cards with the worst/best Blackjack dealer
- Sneeple
- High school bullying Demetria about her tree buddy (sorry!)

Oh, actually, one comment - are we allowed to turn the lights on in the cabins/large rec building at night? I have no idea.

I wish my accent didn't sound like a god damn Ajaunti accent. -.-

RE: Event Review - Sequela (May 2019 Four Day) - Dr. Moran - 05-21-2019

I forgot one of my downsides, and this was a bit of a big one.

Shapers, if using rituals, really need to know exactly how the ritual works and be prepared for questions when PCs identify said ritual. A few were incorrectly handled this event due to confusion over whether or not they had been activated and how activating them actually functioned. Then, due to NPC camp not wanting these rituals in PC hands, they were handwaved or otherwise ignored. I'm hoping this was a one time thing due to the sheer amount of dominates/tasks/enslavements that went out, but it was a real pain to deal with Friday night.

RE: Event Review - Sequela (May 2019 Four Day) - Carrion - 05-21-2019

This event was overall a good one in my books. The best parts of my game easily outweighed the worst, and I don't regret going, so it's a net positive.

The Good
•  I think considering how complicated it is that damn near all of Ralinwood's local enemies are uniting and stamping out our potential allies at the same time, the Shapers conveyed the information in a way that was able to be pieced together.
• All the Fae stuff seems to be being handled really well this year. I have a personal bias in favour of Fae plot that makes me really suffer when it's handled like Sparkle Demons or chaos for chaos's sake, so it's nice to see passionate, rules and folklore conscious folks taking the wheel on that.
• I appreciated the soft resist of my sleep spell when Ange was sorting out the timing of the flare and hold portal during the not-Citadel mod, and that she took the time to talk to me afterwards. While I personally didn't think her apologizing for how it went was necessary since I'm all for harmlessly bending things to let a plot be executed as intended, it was very very thoughtful of her to check in, so I'm thankful for that.
• I appreciated the sneak mod I went on. I've wanted to do stealth based things for a while, and it was a lot of fun.
• I think town is working a lot better as a unit with things like the shield wall and dropping low to let the archers do a volley. I've been on both sides of it now, and it's very impressive. I hope it can be maintained even if the Shapers occasionally throw in a wild card to spice things up, and that town continues to strategize and work as a unit.
• While it would have been nice if the mod hadn't OOG killed like three people, the Dragon Knight showing up with his small army was very cool, and that happening during a ritual also gave us a clearly defined point to defend while fighting them.
• While there was a wee bit of rule confusion (maybe? sort of?) the first of the Fae Festival games were a lot of fun.
•  While I've had very little interaction with the Sunshine Killer, the idea of it is deeply chilling and made me a little uncomfortable every time it was mentioned, which is a testament to the Shapers involved with its storytelling. When I'm shaken just hearing about mods and plots going on in the background, something's being done right. I was going to complain that the song associated with it being so recognizable is a bit immersion shaky given how finicky people can get with music and infernalism, but the doppelganger mechanic sort of demands a very well known and recognizable song that anyone can hum or sing a few bars of, so I'm happy to handwave that.
• The wizard chess was a wee bit visually confusing but a lot of fun mechanically. It was also funny to see how quickly folks adopted their ideal piece or suggested them for others. Long live Queen Cata. 
• There was probably lots of other highlights, I just have trouble keeping track given how much happened during the event.  

The Less Good
• I know it's been mentioned already, but the big town mod on Monday really seemed anticlimactic to me. I think the pseudo-Citadel invasion was the emotional climax of the weekend, what with the burning of the Sanctuary, the changes to the laws, and all the RP set up of the town meeting and Ange's trapsmith... in comparison, the attack on the squamatta felt pretty underwhelming and that only so much was accomplished. I'd normally expect that sort of "save the farmers from baddies" type plot point to happen in the middle of event as part of the exposition, not as a resolution.
• On a related note, I'm not a fan of how the Big Boy Alligator was handled. This thing had been hyped for most of the weekend and there was basically no indication we were fighting him vs a normal dire crocodile. I know we can't always bust out four coordinated NPCs playing the same monster like the Jabberwocky from a few seasons ago, but physical descriptions and a little fanfare would have helped make up the difference.
• I think we're quickly approaching the point where archers should have the equivalent of red armband safety training, if not all latex weapons above dagger size period. I heard a lot of complaints about the same few PCs hitting far too hard, and we all know how many headshots and full draw from close range there was this weekend. Arrows and weapons that passed safety can still leave bad bruises and scrapes, especially on NPCs who are trying to give you a good time with only the protection of their sweatshirt and a tabard.
•  No more fighting near hazards, please. We've already encouraged people to stay away from the trillium flowers, but seeing someone eat shit backwards over a bench because things were getting too hectic also feels very avoidable.

The Less Good That Shapers Can't Change
•  I love you Ralinwood, but you're stone cold bastards about loot. Even visiting players are starting to notice how little is divided up among the people putting in the most resources and hits to take down a monster, and this isn't the first game where arguments have broken out about the dividing of tags or the fact that people with a shorter loot count could slip in and out just collecting things other people hadn't had a chance to loot after dropping. If you're playing a PC who's just kind of a jerk and is comfortable profiting off of other peoples' work that's your choice, but in all the mods I went on that we allowed one person to divide up the loot, there was enough that everyone felt they'd gotten a share. If we want to work more like a town and less like a penal colony, it might take more than a shield wall. It might require us to actually help each other to thrive and spread the wealth around, or at the very least not dick someone over who's too busy preventing town from being curb stomped to loot the thing they just killed. Feel free to disregard this as it's an OOG community suggestion for a problem that's at least partially IG, but I heard a looooot of hurt feelings and bickering after some of the mods, and I felt like I should at least bring it up.

Personal Highlights
• Like I said, the sneak mod I was on was lots of fun.
• Fae games and Fae rules lawyer-ing.
• I'm glad that Jenn finally got to use TMH. That NPC was uncomfortable as hell, complete with sudden shrieking and nails grinding against tabletops, which I assume was the point.
• The Nighthenge Acanthus is best camp.
• The impromptu war council was a lot of fun, and it felt like progress was being made.
• Maybe I'm jut a masochist, but I did like running for my damn life when the Yoshi-shaped witchhunter made it her personal mission to put me in the ground. "THAT'S A DARK CLERIC."
• The Rainbow of Dark Acceptance.
• It was just nice to see Shadowlight hanging out again. We didn't get a whole lot of time to touch base, but it's always nice when we get to talk, and I know they left a very good impression on basically everyone who interacted with them.  
• Going on a rampage because town kidnapped my goddaughter. Y'all haven't heard the end of that.
• Tiny Dietremen shenanigans.